Monday, December 10, 2007

Spa Oasis in the City



One of my favorite places to relax in the city is the Elmwood Spa. My first experience at this oasis was with my mother. It was a Mother's day treat and we both enjoyed a Mother / Daughter couples massage. Since then, I have been a faithful patron of this spa for many years.


What I love about this spa are the various amenities that accompany your service. Each service is accompanied with complimentary water therapies which include an indoor swimming pool, whirlpool, steam rooms and poolside lounge. Enjoy a swim and hot tub dip just before your massage or facial. Once done your treatment you could relax with a book and have a delicioius herbal tea and fresh apple at the poolside lounge. Then finish it off with another dip in the hot tub and refreshing steam room.


Budget Tip: For the price of a one hour massage elsewhere, you could enjoy hours of rest and relaxation at the Elmwood with use of their luxurious water therapies. For those who want to have the experience of a spa without the price, the Elmwood is just the spa for you. The Elmwood spa offers their Water Therapies a la carte for just $20. It's worth it. You will feel renewed and refreshed after a few hours of lounging in the pool, hot tub and steam rooms!


I find the prices at Elmwood somewhat reasonable. A 50 minute swedish massage is priced at $90 (before applicable taxes). A 50 minute aromatherapy massage is set at $100. They have other specialty services at slightly higher prices. I have been to spas where a 60 minute massage is priced at $80. But, what sets the Elmwood spa apart and compensates for the price is their luxurious water therapies, which you can indulge in for an unlimited amount of time. I have spent 4-5 hours at the spa and only had a one hour massage treatment. For a full listing of spa services visit www.elmwoodspa.com.


Tip: Do not forget to ensure that your desired services will have RMT receipts if you are trying to claim Extended Health Benefits. Some services may not be considered for some benift plans. Ask prior to your service.




In terms of therapeutic qualities, I would rate the Elmwood spa as moderate. I have had variable experiences. I tend to prefer deep, therapeautic massages to get at my sore muscles. Sometimes, I've found the massage techniques used on me too light and superficial. A few other times, I've had great deep tissue massage techniques which helped to greatly ease my pain. The Elmwood is a large facility with many different therapists. Keep in mind, the general ambiance of the facility tends to be one of relaxation and rejuvenation. So, if that's what you are looking for then Elmwood definitely meets your needs. If you are looking for a therapeutic treatment to erase painful areas, then it may be a hit and miss game for you.

Another treat at the Elmwood is their newly renovated spaces, especially the women's change room. Your relaxing experience starts as soon as you enter their welcoming lobby, with a waterfall against the front entrance and soft soothing sounds. When you step into the women's changeroom, your worries melt away as you are transported into a refreshing open space. The new change room is fitted with a beautiful blue whirlpool and fresh new shower and locker spaces. The bright blue space makes you feel like you've been swept away to the mediterranean.

So, go and treat yourself to a worthwhile day at an affordable and rejuvenating Oasis in the city.

4 comments:

Make-up Junkie said...

Hey Spa Girl!
Wow, some really great tips about Elmwood. I haven't been since my 21st b-day! The water therapy is such a great price for only $20! I don't remember my massage room looking like that - do you know if they have renovated or maybe all rooms look different? Great blog and tips!

spa girl said...

Not all rooms look like that picture. But all have a relaxing ambiance just the same. You should definitely re-visit the new Elmwood. You definitely deserve to pamper yourself!!!!

Jen Laceda | Milk Guides said...

I found your blog through Make-up Junkie. Looking forward to more posts this holiday season, as I am a spa freak!

spa girl said...

Thanks for all the comments. Now that the holiday season is over, spa girl can finally get back to writing about new spa ideas for 2008. Look forward to my post about the King Edward hotel and how to win a free spa treatment at St. Anne's spa.